Article: [Exclusive] Discovered with their life vests tied together... two children who left the world together
Source: Kyunghyang via Naver
Diver 'A' (58 years old) discovered the body of two students who had tied their life vests together. "How terrifying it must've been for the young students facing death. They must have tied their life vests together to face death with each other."
With 35 years of diving experience, it was his third dive that day when he discovered the bodies. "I was hoping that I'd be able to save at least one life."
He had managed to get in the hall for passengers when he discovered two pairs of shoes. Shoving aside everything in his way, he discovered the body of the male student, the first corpse he's discovered so far on his rescue mission. He closed his eyes and brought his hands together for a brief moment of respect before attempting to push the male student outside of the ship. Instead, he was met with something heavier. Upon inspection, he discovered something hooked to the bottom of the student's life vest. After pulling it up, the body of a female student was unveiled.
Because the two bodies were too heavy for him to pull out of the ferry alone, he had to disconnect the rope holding them together and carry them out one after the other.
"It was the most surprising and heart wrenching moment of my life. Normally, bodies will float in the waters, but these two children must not have wanted to be apart. It broke my heart and left me in a daze. I felt all of the strength leaving my body and had to leave the bodies behind to collect myself above waters. It was difficult for me to deal with what I had seen alone. I called my daughter and asked, 'Daughter, how are you? My heart is breaking.'"
1. [+18,122, -140] I cried while reading the story ㅠㅠ Please rest in peace
2. [+11,378, -86] How upsetting. The two must've been so close to each other. I always wondered how the divers dealt with seeing the bodies in the dark waters so it was interesting to read how they cope with the difficulties...
3. [+10,842, -350] I'm sorry, children. Because of us foolish adults, I'm sorry.. Rest in peace.
4. [+10,074, -141] Starting the morning off in tears again ㅠㅠ..
5. [+3,645, -73] Boys are taught from a young age to protect girls. Even on his road to death, I thank him for being an amazing man. I bet that the girl was less scared thanks to him. It's the adults who should be protecting the children but they're the ones who all ran. I'm sorry as an adult.
6. [+3,419, -36] This is sadder than the Titanic. I'm going crazy.
6. [+3,230, -22] I can't even imagine how scared they must've been. What a manly student. It's so sad to even imagine them trying to depend on each other through a horrific situation. Be happy in the sky.
Article: "I am a criminal... I motioned for my wife to go back in to the cabins when she tried to come out"
Source: Hankyeore via Naver
The couple was celebrating their 30th anniversary on the ferry. "I was sitting on a sofa in front of the third floor cafeteria drinking coffee when the ferry suddenly started moving to one side. The sofa and the other children in the room were slammed into the wall."
He saw his wife try to come out to the lounge but motioned for her to go back in. "I heard an announcer tell everyone not to move from where they were and that it would be dangerous if we moved any further. I thought we could all live if we followed the directions. I didn't think that would be our last moment."
She is still missing. When asked if he has been eating, "How can I eat when people are watching? I am a criminal. What right do I have to eat when I am living without my wife?"
1. [+138, -3] It is not a crime for you to be alive. You must live for your wife.
2. [+104, -1] It's not your fault... your wife thinks the same. Collect yourself.
3. [+86, -2] This is just too much... No words can ever console this. Find strength...
4. [+73, -2] Your wife will believe the sincerity you showed in her safety. Don't live your life in guilt.
Article: "I couldn't afford Nike shoes for my son, I'm scared I won't be able to find his body"... a mother who can't go into the gymnasium
Source: Kukmin Ilbo via Naver
A journalist discovered a mother outside the gymnasium for families waiting to hear news about body discoveries. "I had a mother tell me that the bodies were described using the brand names that they were wearing... Adidas, Nike, Polo... 'I didn't have enough money to afford brands like that for my son. I'm scared that I won't be able to find my child." She didn't want to stay in the gymnasium because she wanted to be able to see each body as they arrived since she wouldn't be able to identify his body based on brands he's wearing.
1. [+1,129, -4] My heart's going to explode... I can't believe she's blaming herself for not being able to afford brands for him and trying to find his body... I can't imagine what she's feeling now.
2. [+883, -5] Scared she won't find his body because she couldn't afford Nikes for him.........
3. [+614, -5] I'm going to cry no matter how hard I open my eyes
Article: Five year old girl 'Kwon'... mother discovered dead, father and brother still missing
Source: Segye Ilbo via Naver
During the sinking, her older brother (by 1 year) put her in his life vest and shoved her to the top of the ferry with their mother. Their mother was discovered dead. The brother and father are still missing.
1. [+566, -10] We will watch over your daughter... I am so sorry. I donated my monthly paycheck to do what I could... but I wanted to give more.
2. [+421, -11] When the five year old grows up... how are we to explain what happened to her?
3. [+389, -5] What can we do for that child...
4. [+343, -2] She lived with the immense love of her mother. I hope that she matures remembering the love her mother gave her.
Article: Body with a tight grip on cellphone discovered... deaths rise to 163
Source: Newsis via Nate
1. [+1,264, -17] How much he must've been waiting for his phone to work... to be able to send a text or a katalk. To at least be able to give one last call to his parents...
2. [+932, -16] I wonder if he was looking at pictures of his family and friends until his last moment... So upsetting, there are no words to describe this ㅜㅜ How scared he must've been.
3. [+859, -13] He probably still had hope that he'd be saved... until his hope was locked under somewhere dark and cold.
4. [+54, -1] He might've left a final message on his phone, please try to recover as much as possible...
Article: <9 days of rescue> Diver "Broke out in tears trying to spread open the palm of a body gripped in a fist like a fetus"
Source: Munhwa Ilbo via Nate
1. [+264, -28] If the bodies were in fetal position to keep warm, that means the water didn't get in all the way right away. There must've been an air pocket and an area for them to stay alive in ㅠㅠ If the water had gotten in rapidly, they wouldn't have been able to worry about their body temperature since they'd be trying to swim to the top as fast as possible. People must've been waiting in an area without much water filled up trying to keep warm and wait for rescue.
2. [+171, -14] That picture makes me choke up every time. People waiting to be saved behind those glass windows... ㅠㅠ
3. [+120, -3] I can't find words anymore